Sunday, August 06, 2006

I Wish I Could

Maybe it wasn't enough for the Union to win the Civil War. Yankee wiseacres and their lily-livered pals out on the West Coast have been making fun of Southerners since the day the smoke cleared over Gettysburg. Talladega Nights: The Legend of Ricky Bobby is the latest movie to portray people from below the Mason-Dixon line as halfwits.
One would expect to see something like that in a newspaper in perhaps New Orleans or Charleston—some place in Dixie where literacy rates are high enough that it's worth it to have a newspaper. However, the entertaining thing was that came from the Toronto-based The Globe and Mail (for those of you who maybe missed this in school, Toronto is in Canada). The article was called "Y'ALL HAVE A GOOD LAUGH NOW, Y'HEAR?"

I wish I could, but I have to confess that I never thought Will Ferrell was really funny. And I think making fun of southerners became obsolete when The Dukes of Hazzard was presented as clean family entertainment.

Completely old news:

No comments: